The Motorsport Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Motorsport Spot

Place for lovers of all things automotive to share their passion.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

planning out some fun for the evo this summer

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rick1024
8200rpm

planning out some fun for the evo this summer Empty
PostSubject: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm

i have been toying around with different setups and all that good stuff. been thinking about a whole build, and then thinking about keeping it simple, to half and half. the car is going to be a dd so i cant really make it into a 1000000whp monster. would suck in the rain

heres what im thinking for a simple setup:
MAperformance o2 eliminator with 3"downpipe (all one piece)
ETS 4" intercooler with 2.5" piping
Exedy twin disk with ams push conversion
GSC S2 cams
AEM exhaust cam gear
hks timing and balance belts
gsc springs and retainers
apr L19 head studs
new head gasket
some damn 3" test pipe
ETS 3" cat-back (maybe 3.5 if i find a reason for it)
conversion to SD
MAYBE FP Black, not sure about spending 2200 on a turbo.

major build would have been
2.3 stroker built by evolution dynamics (forged pistons yada yada yada)
shep transfer and tranny
everything from above
aeromotive 300 lph stealth pump
1600cc fuel injectors
ETS HTA35 turbo kit, twin scroll
exedy triple plate clutch with ams push kit
map switch for ecu, 450 awhp daily driven, flick the switch and get 650whp

the car will also be tuned by evolution dynamics. everything is a bit up in the air right now. for sure the timing, cams and clutch will be done when i get the car stateside. its at 52000 miles and i better get the timing belt done asap.

Back to top Go down
ralliartist
Redlining Post Whore
ralliartist

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:35 pm

couple words of advice since I just did my build and I got away for a really low amount of money and I've been around DSMs a while.

cams, the GSCs are great. But if you want the best, I'd get the Buschur 272s. Just trust me, those are going to make the most power and you'll be the happiest with them.

gates belts

get regular arp head studs, you really have no need for the L19s. If you do get the L19s anyways, DO NOT OPEN THEM UNTIL YOU ARE ACTUALLY INSTALLING THEM! People have had problems with them because they expose them to the air long before they install them. I know it sounds stupid. But trust me.

Use a stock head gasket, use stock gaskets everywhere. OEM gaskets are the best.

Turbo, maybe I'm biased, but look into the MAP EF series. They are cheaper and have extremely similar spool to the Ball Bearing FP turbos.

Fuel supply, you'll need a walbro 400 or buschur double pumper if you really want 600+.
Back to top Go down
06evomr
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 am

go with the gsc cams or kelfords since the buschur cams are for 8's only.

id stick with the gates belt or OEM and OEM gaskets. And for injectors if you want to run pump gas the 1600 are a shitty to drive on the max you can go with is 1450's in a low z. high z's are completely different.

might as well just through a exedy triple in it and call it a day haha.

cam gear kind if a waste of money unless you want it to look nicer.

As for a turbo shit you will change you mind 1000 times haha.

Dont forget all the pulleys/tensionor and a water pump while you are changing the timing belt.
Back to top Go down
ralliartist
Redlining Post Whore
ralliartist

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 am

yea I didn't realize the Buschur's are for 8's only. haha, sucks to be you nerds. lol

Back to top Go down
///mcompact
5000rpm
///mcompact

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:06 am

GSC S2s and no cam gears (you got a IX...you're all set on the intake cam VVT).

Not a fan of exedy twins. My twin sucked. I still got a good 120-130 launches out of it, but it received the famous "warped floater disk" mod after only about 5K miles. It would drag and make going into 1st or reverse a pain in the dick. At only 16K miles, it had to come out..couldn't get that bastard into gear with doing all kinds of throttle-blipping games.

I've had my OS Giken twin for about 25K miles...maybe 40-50 launches and it shifts quick as crap (faster than the driver can produce). It's not cheap but does have a really keen "movement alteration kit" which converts it from pull to push.

Back to top Go down
06evomr
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:43 am

thats why a 8 head is going on my car soon, ditch the mivec and go with some real aggressive cams
Back to top Go down
2003 Evo
1500rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am

I think buschur actually recommends the cosworth M2s for 9s if I remember right, which suprised me. I want to try kelfords 280s once im back in the states personnaly
Back to top Go down
06evomr
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

no will teh buschur 280's haha...
Back to top Go down
///mcompact
5000rpm
///mcompact

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 am

06evomr wrote:
thats why a 8 head is going on my car soon, ditch the mivec and go with some real aggressive cams

I'm going the opposite whenever I get the chance. Below 3K rpms, running anything but mild 264 cams suck on an VIII when DD'ing. My buddy's IX MR had the exact same mods (same exact intake, TBE and GSC S1 cams) and his evo was night and day better driving outside of WOT.

If you are all hard-up on making big power and don't give a shit about DD'ing the car, go for it, but VVT on the intake cam does wonders for idle and off-boost driving.
Why don't you just get some S3s, disable your mivec and set your cams "straight-up"? IX's have the better cooling head anyways.
Back to top Go down
rick1024
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 pm

never heard of someone disabling the mivec and never heard of straight up

i definitely want to dd the car, or at least for 2-3 years. thats why im reluctant to just jump on the trigger and go for 650 now.

and yeah the damn turbo choice is a bastard. i was set on the fp black and then something in my head was like dood, fuck it, get a damn hta twin scroll and call it a day
Back to top Go down
///mcompact
5000rpm
///mcompact

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 pm

VVT has a default setting. I don't know what it is on a mitsu, but on single VVT BMW M/S50 (intake side) it was -5 degress TDC on the cam. The intake cam is actually degree'd at -5 TDC (don't ask me how I know). If you disable the bimmer's VANOS (simply unplugging the solenoid...which the mivec is probably a bit more complicated) and setting the cam "straight up" (TDC) it will act like an evo VIII. I do not know everything about a IX, but I seriously doubt that you must swap out the VVT IX head to get a non-VVT function set-up.

But fuck it...get some killer lope to your car and make some badass peak power. geek
Back to top Go down
06evomr
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 pm

id rather just go with a 8 head to complelty get rid of the mivec solenoid that will make one less thing that could possibly fail... And the 8 heads have proven to make more power when you get above the 700whp range.
Back to top Go down
rick1024
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 2:31 pm

not going that high palmer

ill just stick with the mivec
Back to top Go down
///mcompact
5000rpm
///mcompact

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

06evomr wrote:
id rather just go with a 8 head to complelty get rid of the mivec solenoid that will make one less thing that could possibly fail... And the 8 heads have proven to make more power when you get above the 700whp range.

I didn't know that. I guess that's the upside to having smaller or fewer water passages.

If I could, I would trade you cyl heads, but I thought they are not interchangeable? Something with the timing side of the block is different? Shit...just swap all of your mods over to my evo! I'd rather have a gray evo IX!! My long term goal (or short term..if my engine meets its end) is to swap over to a IX longblock and harness.
Back to top Go down
06evomr
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 11:17 pm

rick ive had very good luck with the GSC s2's so thats what id recommend. Kiley you dont want my evo haha
Back to top Go down
rick1024
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 4:00 am

are the gsc beehives a safe bet?
Back to top Go down
06evomr
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 am

they would be fine with the s2's with some retainers also
Back to top Go down
rick1024
8200rpm

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 pm

definitely with retainers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: planning out some fun for the evo this summer   planning out some fun for the evo this summer Empty

Back to top Go down

planning out some fun for the evo this summer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Motorsport Spot :: Show us your builds-
Jump to: